Monday, February 21, 2011

Moorilla, MONA & The Source Restaurant

Should you find yourself in Hobart Tasmania, I can heartily recommend a meal at "The Source Restaurant".  The restaurant is part of the Moorilla winery complex, which also now includes the re-designed Museum of Old and New Art (MONA).  http://www.moorilla.com.au/

My meal was great - not quite "Vue due Monde" great, but lovely nonetheless. 

I had a starter of onion veloute with a parmesan mousse and an onion caramel.  I can't do this dish justice by trying to describe it...it was by far the best course of the meal for me and the flavors were superlative.

For my main, it was spatchcock with a layer of truffle under the crispy skin, truffled cabbage, and a truffled sauce.  Truffle overload, but in the best possible way.  Also on the plate was the chef's play on an "egg sandwich" which was an egg yolk served between two thin croutons.  The spatchcock was lovely, the cabbage was even surprisingly nice...the truffled sauce made the whole dish.  I'll confess the egg yolk grossed me out - I loved the idea of it, but when I bit into it the texture was...let's just say "off putting". 

Dessert was a "chocolate and praline" bar.  A simple mousse of hazelnuts layered with a light chocolate mousse, placed on top of a hazelnut praline - all coated in chocolate. 

Service was great, and Anthony throws in a solid recommendation for their microbrew - he tried a bottle of their Moo Brew Pale Ale and said it was one of the best beers he's ever tried.

All up, a great day.  The Museum is certainly worth a look too!

No comments:

Post a Comment