Monday, December 2, 2013

Homemade Dinner Rolls

Firstly, let me say, it's been an eternity since I have posted.  2013 has been a very busy year.  We had a huge trip around the world and then spent six months living in the Arizona desert.  We're home now, and the thing I missed more than anything was my own kitchen.  I've been trying to experiment with lots of new recipes, but haven't had my creative "write it all down" mojo working of late.

Christmas is coming up and Thanksgiving is just behind us.  One staple for me now at our holiday dinners is my homemade dinner rolls.  These are a sweet type of dinner roll, perfect to use as slider rolls with mini burgers or as just a side with butter on them for a nice meal.  I have been working on my fear of yeast doughs…and if you share my fear, then these rolls can help you get over it.  They are virtually fool proof, and always come up beautifully.

Ingredients:

2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons butter + additional for melting and brushing on the rolls

Method:

In a microwave container (I use a pyrex jug) combine the water, milk and butter.  Heat until just warm, but not hot.  It's important to not overheat it or it will kill the yeast.

Put the warm milk into the bowl of a KitchenAid (or equivalent) mixer.  Add the yeast and sugar, stir briefly and then let sit for 10 minutes.  When you get back to it, the yeast should have begun foaming up a bit and look quite active.

Add the salt, then add the flour in half cup additions until it is all mixed together.

Once it has come together, knead in the machine for about 5 - 7 minutes.   Pull the dough out of the mixer and do a bit of hand kneading.  This will make you feel superior to your KitchenAid and imminently more involved in the process.  The bread should have a silky sort of feel to it when you're done.

Put the dough into a bowl and cover with a tea towel, and let it rest for about 30 - 45 minutes.

Divide the dough into 10 - 12 pieces, based entirely on your preference.  Shape the dough into balls, and put into a greased 8 inch pie pan.  Cover and let them rest again for about 45 minutes.

Brush the rolls with melted butter and bake in a 370F/185C for about 15 - 20 minutes, until golden brown.

Brush the hot rolls with a bit more butter, and serve warm.


1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try this! I haven't had much luck with yeast rolls and am looking for a go to. I knew I hand kneaded after the machine for a reason!!

    ReplyDelete