Sunday, March 13, 2011

Basic Sweet Muffin Mix

I've always loved eating blueberry muffins and since I was old enough to use the oven, I have loved making blueberry muffins.  When I was a kid, I used boxed mixes and didn't really know much better.  Once I was out on my own, I wanted to learn how to make my own from scratch.  It took a few years of tweaking, but eventually my go-to recipe for sweet muffins emerged.  You can use most fruits in this recipe, but blueberries are still my favorite.  I've added cranberries and orange zest which was lovely, or you could add chocolate chips and raspberries.  In general, add about 1 cup of whatever it is you are adding. 

Basic Muffins:

Ingredients

1 egg
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 oil (canola or other mild tasting oil)
2 cups plain flour
3/4 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 - 1 cup of fruit/choc chips


Method

Heat oven to 200C/400F.  Grease bottoms of muffin cups.

In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

In a small bowl, beat egg then stir in milk, oil and vanilla.  Mix well.

Pour the liquid mix in with the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.  It is likely to be a bit lumpy, but you should make sure to not over-mix.

Add whatever bits you are going to mix through, and distribute evenly into either a 12 regular size muffin tin or a 6 jumbo muffin tin.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment